Thursday, May 17, 2012

Skinny Pita Pizza

I LOVE pizza! Ok, who doesn't love pizza?! But when I started on my healthy eating journey, I thought pizza was one of those things I was just going to have to learn to live without. I mean, it's greasy, filled with tons of fat, tons of calories, and tons of carbs...there's no way it can be healthy, right?!

WRONG!! Well, wrong if you make it my way! ;)

One day while I was at the grocery store, I spotted this packet of pita bread by the deli counter.

Just look at all those wonderful words on there! Flax, whole wheat, omega-3, reduced carb, reduced fat, high protein, and best of all GREAT TASTE! That is a healthy eater's dream! I knew I had to take these home and figure out what to do with them!

One night while trying to figure out something quick to whip up, I saw spaghetti sauce sitting in my cabinet and immediately knew I had to try to make a pizza with the pita bread!

I expected it to be maybe just okay...

I was wrong...

This little baby was delicious! It was like having a personal, thin crust pizza! And even though all the ingredients I used were healthier versions of the originals, it definitely could have passed for a full fat, carb dense, calorie heavy pizza...minus the grease! ;)


Skinny Pita Pizza
  • 1 pita bread ( I used Joseph's...you already know why! :))
  • 1/2 cup light spaghetti/pizza sauce (I used Light No sugar Added Tomato & Basil Ragu)
  • 1/3 cup fat-free mozzarella
  • Turkey pepperonis
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Spray your baking sheet with some cooking spray so the pizza doesn't stick.
3. Evenly spread your sauce over the whole pita. No need to leave much room for a crust.
4. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the sauce.
5. Add your toppings of choice. I used about 8 turkey pepperonis and a few sliced jalapenos.
6. Place in the oven and let it cook until the cheese is melted and slightly golden, around 7-10 minutes.

Dive in and enjoy! You can thank me later! ;)

The skinny: This personal pizza only has around 160 calories and 3 grams of fat! (Your calculations may differ depending on which toppings you use.)

 Another great thing about this pizza is that this little guy is surprisingly filling! I ate the whole pizza and two of my Chocolate Chip Energy Bites for dinner the other night and was very full!

So give this a whirl and let me know how you like it! :)


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Ok just made these!! So so good! Thanks for the great healthy ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! You're welcome! So glad you liked it! :)

      Delete