Monday, April 30, 2012

Green Monster Smoothie



The first time I saw this smoothie and read through the ingredients I said, " No way...I'll never be able to drink that." But as I started eating healthy and looking for more ways to add in vegetables to my diet, I decided to venture out and try this odd smoothie.

And boy am I glad I did! I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful this smoothie turned out! I was prepared for the worse and expected to be gagging down the spinach-y tasting drink, but I couldn't get it down fast enough! The fruit completely masks the flavor of the spinach so all you get is a sweet tasting, healthy (yet still somewhat odd looking) smoothie! :)


Green Monster Smoothie
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach (you can use Kale or another green but spinach has the mildest flavor)
  • 1 cup frozen fruit of choice (I usually mix and match with pineapple, mango, and peaches..really anything works!)
  • 1 medium banana (The riper, the better)
  • 3/4 cup water
1. Pour the water into the blender. Always put liquids in the blender first.
2. Pack in the baby spinach next.
3. Then add your frozen fruit and banana.
4. Blend and enjoy!

Notes: You can always use milk or yogurt in place of the water...I just prefer the water plus it saves on calories! With the frozen fruit, there is no need to add ice. If you should decide to use fresh fruit, then you will need to add a 1/2 cup or so of ice. You can always add in flax seeds, protein powder, or nuts to really amp it up! The possibilities are endless!

The skinny:
This smoothie packs approximately 200 calories with less than 1 g of fat! And once you start to drink these regularly, you will definitely notice a difference in your energy level! Plus, your hair and nails will start to grow like weeds! Don't say I didn't warn you! And with a name like "Green Monster," that bright green color, and such a sweet taste, you might even be able to get your kids to try it!  Just don't tell them what's in it! :)

So go ahead and pour yourself another glass...and one for the kids, as well! :)

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Is this something you should eat everyday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely could eat it everday if you like! I would probably switch up the fruits so you're giving your body different vitamins and nutrients and not sticking with the EXACT same thing everyday.

      Delete
  2. It's yummy! And it tastes almost like the $2 bottle Green Monsters I used to get. I will be drinking more later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they sold these bottled! Interesting! Nothing like fresh made though! :)

      Delete