Monday, April 23, 2012

Skinny BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

It's no secret. Anybody who knows me, knows I like to eat. And I like to eat a lot! And I don't enjoy eating things that taste skinny. So I'm always on the lookout for recipes that take your everyday, favorite foods and turn them into skinny/healthy recipes! When those recipes aren't available, I improvise and make my own! This is what I did with these BBQ Chicken Sandwiches we had for dinner tonight.

The original recipe came from Crockin' Girls but I substituted lower fat and lower calorie ingredients to make these a little more healthy!

Skinny BBQ Chicken Sandwiches (6-8 servings)
  • 5 small chicken breast halves
  • 1 16.25 oz bottle Light BBQ Sauce (I used Kraft)
  • 1/2 cup Fat Free Italian Dressing
  • 2 tbsp Low Sodium Worcestershire Sauce
1. Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker.
2. Mix together the BBQ Sauce, Italian dressing, and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Pour BBQ mix over the chicken breast evenly
4. Set to low and cook for 6-8 hours. (Or high for 3-4 hours)
5. Shred chicken breast and mix well with the sauce. Leave on the warm setting until ready to eat.

And that's all she wrote! I put mine on in the morning before I leave for work and by the time I get home the house is smelling wonderful!

I served this on a 100% whole grain bun. I love the nutty flavor of the whole grain buns and since whole grains are a complex carb, it will take longer to digest and won't cause as much of a spike in insulin levels as would a white bun. Insulin spike=slowing down the fat burning process and storing fat...NOT good!

For a side dish we had a mix of frozen vegetables. This mix is called "Deluxe Stir Fry." It includes broccoli, Italian green beans, carrots, baby corn, water chestnuts, and red bell peppers. I also added some frozen corn kernels to bulk it up a bit more.

The skinny:
One serving of just the meat has approximately 130 calories and 1.8 grams of fat! Add in another 130 calories for the bun I used and you've got a 260 calorie sandwich with less than 5 grams of total fat! I'll take that over a traditonal BBQ sandwich any day!

Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! :) Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment