Saturday, April 21, 2012

Friday Night Light...Eating That Is!

When I first started really getting into healthy eating, I would say to myself..."I'll eat good throughout the week and then just eat whatever I want on the weekends." This sounded good in theory but if you consider Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as the weekend, then that's basically HALF the week you are not eating healthy! After only a couple of weeks of this and not losing weight, I quickly realized this was not going to work. I needed to figure out a better way to eat healthy but also not feel deprived as I watched my husband wolf down down Mexican food (my favorite) on the weekends while I sat with my little salad in front of me.

So I finally found what works for me! I try to eat as healthy as possible everyday, but on Saturday I pick ONE meal to have as a "free meal." I don't eat junk all day long and cheat on my healthy eating ALL day Saturday...only on ONE meal! I've found this helps satisfy my unhealthy cravings and then I can just get right back on track!

For me, it's all about moderation and being realistic. I know I will get cravings and I know I will slip up...it's just part of it! The most important thing is GETTING BACK ON TRACK! Just because you slip up and eat one unhealthy thing you can't just say, "Oh well...I've already ruined my healthy eating for today so I'll just eat whatever I want the rest of the day and try again tomorrow." No! It won't work like that! As the saying goes, "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today!" Can I get an amen?! :)

There will always be those special occasions where you will indulge a little more or not eat as well as you would like to, especially on the weeknds. Food is a way for us to connect to people and pretty much any gathering or event you go to, there will be food. Enjoy those times, enjoy the people, enjoy the food...just make sure once the event is over and your regular life continues on, get back to your healthy eating! If you find yourself at lots of parties or gatherings on the weekends and notice that your eating is getting out of control, search for food that you can fill up on that aren't too bad. Look for a fruit or veggie tray, pick out some chicken, etc. Or better yet, if you KNOW there won't be many healthy options where you are going, eat something before you go so you feel full and won't be as inclined to eat as much!

I'm sorry, I have to control myself! I just got off on another topic that will definitely get its own post another day... :)

Anyways, off the soap box and onto what I had for my Friday night dinner!

Omar wanted to go to a place called Fat Daddy's. It is a burger joint but has this AWESOME salad that I order sometimes! (I was so excited about it that I mixed it all up before getting a good picture LoL) It's called the Margarita salad and comes with lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, avocado, bacon, cheese, chicken, and ranch dressing. I order it without bacon and cheese to save calories and cut down on the fat. They also have the little bar with all the fixings to put on your burger so I add to my salad pico de gallo, jalapenos, and onions. Last night I asked for salsa instead of the ranch dressing but I usually take my own Fat Free Italian dressing in a little tupperware container :) Don't be embarrassed to do it! You will save so many calories and so much fat...there's nothing embarrasing about that!

What do you do to keep up your healthy eating on the weekends?!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment