Monday, June 4, 2012

Haters Gonna Hate

Some of you might remember the post I did a couple of weeks ago about how the fitness world is such a pleasant place with such a positive vibe and people who are willing to help you reach your goals and get to where you want to go. Well that still rings true in regards to the health and fitness circuit. However, unfortunately, I got my first dose of real negativity towards me wanting to become a personal trainer from an outside source.

The conversation went something like this:

Woman: "Lindsey what are your plans for this summer?"
Me: "I'll be working at Anytime Fitness part time."
Woman: "Oh really? What will you be doing there?"
Me: "I'll be doing personal training."
Woman: "Oh wow! You're a personal trainer?! That's exactly what I need! How much do you charge?"
Me: "Well I'm not really sure...I haven't had a client yet so I don't really know what I'll be charging."
Woman: "Oh...you've never actually trained someone? Well nevermind...I need someone who has experience and actually knows what they're doing."
Me: "Wow...you're right. I wouldn't be good for you."

Can I just tell you how quick my jaw fell to the ground when she said that?! I obviously know NOTHING about health and fitness since I don't have the little piece of paper saying so, right? I proceeded to tell her I do know what I'm doing, I work out regularly, I do research constantly and am studying to obtain my certification. I realize that to someone that isn't involved in fitness and possibly doesn't know me at all in that aspect might be a little hesitant at first. But the way she said it was uncalled for.

This just goes to show you how not everyone is going to support you in your dreams and goals. This person was unfortunately one of those "leaders" I spoke about lacking support from in the post about the fitness world being pleasant. As a leader, even if it's not in the fitness world, I would have expected more.


Word.

Luckily, I DO have lots of support from other people. People who know how hard I am working, how important this is to me, and how dedicated I am to becoming a great trainer. And of course with every "hater" I have, there will be a "supporter" as well. Thankfully, the very same day I received this inspiring message from a great friend.



I can not tell you how wonderful it feels to read that! Especially after such a negative experience that very same morning. Needless to say, after reading this, I quickly shook off the conversation from that morning and decided I would focus on the positive. There ARE people who enjoy what I'm doing, there ARE people who believe in me, and I AM inspiring people and encouraging them to change for the better. And in the end, that's all that matters and that's all I'm here for! (Love you, Yari! :))

So I want to say THANK YOU to all those who believe in me, support me, encourage and inspire me...and to those who don't as well! Which ever category you fall in to, you are making me a better person and trainer! :)



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment