Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mini Baked Fajita Chimichangas

If you know me or if you've been reading my blog, you know I LOVE Mexican food and all spicy food! I could seriously eat Mexican or Tex-Mex every day for every meal and never get tired of it! Unfortunately, Mexican food isn't the most figure friendly food out there. But by making a few changes, you can fix some great, lighter Tex-Mex food right at home!



Mini Baked Fajita Chimichangas

  •  2 cups shredded chicken
  • 12 egg rolls wrappers (I used Nasoya All Natural egg roll wraps...found in the refrigerated section next to the packaged lettuce)
  • 1/2 onion, cut into strips
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In small saute pan, add the olive oil and onions.
3. Saute the onions until translucent.
4. While the onions are cooking, put the chicken in a bowl. Add all spices to the chicken and mix well. (Measurements of spices are estimates...I usually just eye ball everything when I add in spices)
5. Take an egg roll wrap and lay it on a flat surface. Spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of chicken onto the center of the wrap. Add a few strips of onion on top.
6. Then dip your finger in the water and outline the edges of the wrap with your wet finger. This will make the edges "sticky" so the wrap will hold together.

This is how you roll the wrap:

7. Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet and place them in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are lightly browned and crispy.

The skinny: Three mini chimichangas have approximately 230 calories and 3 grams of fat! Sooo much better for you than the fried version! :)

You can, of course, add more inside your rolls. This was all I had on hand so that's what I did! Bell peppers or low fat cheese would be a great addition!

Also, spraying the rolls with a little spritz of cooking spray or brushing them with an egg wash will give the rolls a golden brown appearance. (I forgot this step :)


As you can see, I served my chimichangas with roasted corn and homemade salsa for dipping. In the grocery store, next to the egg roll wrappers, I found another great item! These little 100 calorie packs of spicy guacamole! Yum!! Even though the avocado in guacamole has lots of good fat, we all know it's very easy to overdo it! So these 100 calorie packs are a great way to keep your portion control in check and so much easier than fixing up a big bowl of guacamole and having the left overs go brown on you! And it's DELICIOUS! :)

Provecho!! :)
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Hope you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete