Friday, June 22, 2012

Vacation Vitality!

When summer rolls around, we start going on family vacations, staying up late, waking up late, and partaking in many parties and cookouts that include not so healthy food options and lots of adult beverages. With this change in routine and desire to enjoy the summer just as much as the next person, it can be hard to stay on track with your normal fitness routine and proper nutrition.

Our trip to San Antonio to celebrate our anniversary definitely got me off track when it came to blogging but I didn't let it completely undo all the hard work and sweat I've put into getting myself to where I am now. I was determined to enjoy myself but keep everything in moderation and not get too far off from my regular routine.

So I've decided to share with you some tips to keep you focused while on vacation yet still enjoy your time away!

Pick a good hotel.
I don't mean good as in it has to be a 5-star hotel with penthouse options or anything like that. I mean pick a good hotel with amenities you will need to stay focused. For example, one thing on my checklist for our hotel was that it had to have a fitness center or small gym. I knew I wouldn't get up and go run outside in a strange place where I didn't know the streets or what the people would be like around that area, so a gym was a must. Our hotel, Embassy Suites, actually had a nice little setup with a few treadmills, a couple of stationary bikes, a couple of benches, medicine balls, stability balls, and mats. What more could you need? I didn't spend hours in the gym but I did try to get at least a quick 30 minutes workout every morning.
Another thing I looked for when searching for a hotel was a continental breakfast. Having stayed at Embassy Suites, I know they serve an excellent breakfast! They serve lots of healthier options like a variety of fruits, whole grain toast and bagels, oatmeal, yogurt, and you can even have an omelet made to order with your choice of vegetables! I was so excited to see fresh grapefruit out every morning to help keep me on track with my goal for this month to eat a grapefruit everyday and get my metabolism going each morning! They also have some not so healthy options that are very tempting like sausage, eggs, bacon, and pancakes...those MUST be eaten in moderation if you decide to go for them!

Find active things to do.
We literally barely sat down the whole time we were there! The first day we went to the Market Square in downtown and walked around for hours. That night we went to the Riverwalk and walked more. The next day we went to Sea World and walked what seemed like 50 miles just going from show to show and checking out all the park has to offer. Our last full day there we went back to Sea World to try out the new waterpark. Of course that was lots more walking, climbing stairs to get to the top of all the rides, and lots of swimming! On our way home we stopped at an outlet center and did even MORE walking! I really wish I would've had a pedometer on me all weekend...there's no telling how many miles we walked all weekend!

Balance out your meals/Eat lighter meals during the day.
For example, we would eat breakfast in the morning and then maybe just have a couple of snacks throughout the day then have dinner around 7 or 8. I let myself enjoy dinner and didn't make myself feel too guilty if I indulged a little too much. That was the point of me eating smaller meals earlier in the day. Also, our first day there we had a filling breakfast around 10 and ended up eating lunch/dinner around 4 or 5. This way we weren't starving yet still didn't have to go to bed on a full tummy.

Take it easy on the alcohol.
Our hotel proposed us with a little challenge for this tip...they had FREE drinks from 5:30-7:30 everyday (another great thing about Embassy Suites:) ). I did enjoy a few free beverages but before I did so, I made sure I had drank 3 full 32 ounce bottles of water and drank some water with each beverage as well. That way I could be sure I stayed hydrated yet still enjoy the free cocktails! I also stayed away from the alcohol while we were out and about during the day. Besides being over priced, I felt it was important to drink plenty of water since it was so hot outside and we were sweating so much!

Have fun and don't stress about it if you get off track!
Vacations and parties are meant for you to enjoy yourself and have a good time! Not be stuck in the hotel room figuring up your calorie intake, spending hours in the hotel gym, or beating yourself up after you over indulge a bit. If you get off track, shake it off and get back ON track! No big deal! You're not going to gain back five pounds from slipping up on one meal or having a cocktail...I promise :)

We didn't take many pictures but here are a few from our trip! :)

At El Mercado-Market Square


Waiting for the Azul show to start at Sea World!

Feeding the dolphins!

Shamu just chillin!

The inside of our hotel from the elevator!



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment